Yesterday I was able to pull together some time to get about and about amongst our year 1 and year 6 classes to see our 1:1 iPad program in action.

Immediately it was evident that our students and staff have responded to the use of these devices extremely well when integrating them in to teaching and learning programs and support learning.

As these two cohorts are essentially new to 1:1 iPad use, although our year 1 students last year had 1:1 iPad access under a school owned model, I thought it important to touch base with teachers and students in a more informal setting via conducting my own little “learning walk” throughout these areas.

As i mentioned it was immediately evident that the devices were being utilised to support teaching and learning via the following;

• Students were engaged and on task with their devices
  • Students were given space and responsibility to select how they were to demonstrate their learning. I.e. Choice of app’s and presentation methods.
  • Students were using their devices to reflect on their learning using applications such as Explain Everything and Educreations.
  • Staff were using the devices with both purpose to make the technology use meaningful and assisting not as an add on or extra.
  • Several students were choosing to show their understandings by NOT using their iPads. This falls directly under student choice which we feel is fantastic as kids are not solely relying on their devices to complete work and demonstrate learning outcomes.
  • Students being creative with their devices and moving away from using their iPads as a substitution method to show their work. I.e. Students using the Minecraft and Eden applications to show their understanding!
  • And lastly, classes throughout these cohorts having developed blogs, wiki’s and Google Sites to connect with students in an online setting to share,, connect, collaborate and discuss their happenings!
I have included just a few images of some things that I witnessed below to show you first hand what our teachers and students are up to! 🙂
Enjoy!

Using the Apple TV and Kanex Connector through a Digital Projector!

The Year 1’s waiting patiently to display their work!

The Kanex ATV Pro Connector in Action.

App Zone!